COVID-19 SAFETY REQUIREMENTS AT THE SAN DIEGO CIVIC THEATRE
Per the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), all guests will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (at least two weeks after final dose) OR a negative test is required. Booster shots are not required at this time. Tests must be taken:
- 48 hours before May 27th for a PCR test
- 24 hours before May 27th for a rapid antigen test
In addition, unvaccinated guests are required to wear a mask while inside the theatre.
*For your convenience, Lux Concierge is offering rapid testing onsite at the Civic Theatre for $40 per test. Testing is available 1 hour before the event. Please plan to arrive early to the venue to accommodate the testing.
- Acceptable proof of vaccination is either the original vaccination card, a printed copy of the vaccination card, or digital vaccination recordwith an appropriate ID matching the name on vaccination documentation.
- Unvaccinated guests will be required to take a COVID-19 PCR test within 48 hours of the event OR an antigen test 24 hours before the event and will provide proof of a negative result before entering the venue.
- Acceptable proof of a negative Covid-19 test result must be in the form of written documentation (paper or electronic copy).* The documentation must include:
- Type of test (indicating it is a PCR or antigen test)
- The entity issuing the result (e.g. laboratory, healthcare entity, or telehealth service)
- Specimen collection date.
- Information that identifies the person (full name plus at least one other identifier such as date of birth or passport number)
- Test Result
- Over-the-counter tests will not be accepted as proof of negative results of COVID-19
California residents may request a digital vaccination record at MyVaccineRecord.cdph.ca.gov.
When do I need to apply for Commencement 2022 Participation?
You must have completed your “Application for Degree” form and Pay $100 Fee by April 1, 2022; to participate and be cleared by your Student Advisor. If you would like to participate and haven’t completed the Commencement Participation Form, submit the form HERE.
For Doctorate Candidates Only
Program completion dates for doctoral candidates participating in commencement:
- April 1, 2022 – to walk in the ceremony and have their name/dissertation title published in the commencement program.
- April 1, 2022 – still eligible to walk in the ceremony but doctoral candidate’s name and dissertation title will not be listed in the commencement program.
Important note: Please be aware that a candidate’s program may have more stringent deadlines requiring that candidates not only defend, but turn in their completed dissertations to the library by a specific date to participate in the ceremony. Please check with Academic Affairs to ensure you meet the required deadlines for participation.
It’s the day of Commencement. Where do I go, and when?
The Commencement ceremony will take place at the San Diego Civic Theatre (1100 3rd Ave, San Diego, CA 92101). Students must check in no later than 12:00 pm in the Plaza to the West (right) of the Theatre. We highly encourage students to arrive by 10:30am.
What time should my guests arrive?
The Theatre will open at 11:00am for guest seating. We ask that all guests be in their seats by 1:00 pm, so that the ceremony can begin promptly at 1:30 pm.
Do my guests need tickets for Commencement?
Yes. Graduates each get 6 tickets for their guests. Tickets can be collected starting April 15th at the San Diego and Irvine campuses.
Children 2 years of age and younger are not required to have a ticket.
Seating will not be assigned and is available on a first-come, first-served basis. More info on seating at the Civic Theater can be found at http://sandiegotheatres.org/civic-theatre-seating-chart/
Are there any items that I need to bring on the day of Commencement?
You are required to bring your regalia: cap with tassel, gown and, for doctoral graduates only, your hood.
Will there be any photographs taken of me?
Yes. Photographs will be taken of each graduate as they receive their diploma/hood and after they leave the stage by Grad Images. Students will receive an email following Commencement regarding how to order photos online. Guests will not be permitted to leave their seats to take photos during the ceremony.
How do I order my regalia (cap and gown)?
You must order your regalia online no later than May 1st by visiting the regalia website: https://alliant.shopoakhalli.com
1) Regalia is to be shipped back to Oak Hall within 60 days of receiving their order. (include the packing slip)
2) Inside packaging cannot be opened. (Return Sealed As Received) You cannot open & use for photos.
3) You will be responsible for return shipping costs (via: USPS/UPS/FED EX)
Oak Hall | 840 Union Street, PO Box 1078, Salem, Virginia 24153
Customer Service: 1-800-456-7623
Where do I return my regalia?
The regalia is yours to keep and does not need to be returned.
Will there be rehearsals?
No. Rehearsals aren’t held for any Commencement activities.
Where can I store personal belongings during Commencement?
There is no secure place for your personal belongings. If you choose to bring personal items, please give them to your guests to hold onto before the ceremony begins. In order to keep the ceremony as distraction-free as possible, all phones must be put on vibrate or turned off. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Are degrees presented at the Commencement ceremony?
No. At the ceremony, you will receive a diploma cover but not your actual diploma.
When will I receive my degree?
It depends on when you complete your degree process. Once you complete your degree requirements you should receive it 6 weeks from that date. Please be sure your correct address is on file with the university to ensure that you receive your diploma in a timely manner.
Where do I park?
Please plan to arrive early, so you are not late for the ceremony. There are more than 15 parking garages located within .2 miles of the theatre. The closest parking is located at:
Civic Theatre Parking
1100 3rd Ave, San Diego CA 92101
Distance: 0.04 Miles 3rd & B
301 B St., San Diego CA 92101
Distance: 0.05 Miles Civic Center Plaza
1200 Third Ave, San Diego CA 92101
Distance: 0.08 Miles
We strongly encourage you to use public transportation or other transportation services such as Uber and Lyft.
The San Diego Trolley (Blue and Orange lines) stop within feet of the San Diego Civic Theatre (Civic Theatre station).
Pre-Order Grad Leis
Pre-Order Customized Sashes, Logos
Regalia Orders, Announcements, and Diploma Frames
Oak Hall is the provider of products and services to help our students celebrate important moments and recognize their achievements.
- Order Regalia (Cap & Gown) Online by May 1st
- Order Announcements Online
- Order Diploma Frames Online
Oak Hall will be present at the following to assist students with Regalia orders, announcements, and diploma frames:
Day of Commencement
For any questions regarding a Graduation Regalia, announcements, and diploma frames please contact:
For any additional questions, please email email@example.com and we will respond to you within 48 hours.